We are delighted that Cheshire East Council have approved our designs for an extension to St James’ Church, Sutton.
The church was completed in 1840 and is a beautiful structure. However, due to the age of the Church there are no catering and sanitary facilities provided and due to the steeply sloping church yard it is impractical for many to walk to the church hall safely.
Our brief was to provide a kitchen and disabled W.C for use by the congregation. The challenge in this church was if catering and sanitary facilities within the existing church body were provided a significant change in layout would occur and would involve the loss of several pews which would be most unwelcome to the congregation. Therefore, a small extension, of a floor space of ~15m2, to the church would allow the facilities to be concentrated in one area, requiring limited impact on the existing church building.
The proposed extension has been located to the front of the church to provide ease of access. The extension will be part of the church but provide a subtle defined separation between this area and church services area. The design of the proposal will be akin to the current vestry annex which will create a seamless extension and maintain the character of St James’ Church.